NEWS

Quebec pledges $60M more to help rebuild Lac-Mégantic

07/13/2014 12:00 EDT | Updated 09/12/2014 05:59 EDT
The Quebec government on Sunday pledged an additional $60 million to Lac-Mégantic to help with compensating victims and rebuilding the small town's downtown core. 

Several MNAs were in Lac-Mégantic to make the announcement.

MNA for Mégantic Ghislain Bolduc said the additional money was the government's way of showing that it continues to prioritize Lac-Mégantic's convalescence after a train derailed and exploded in the centre of town last summer. 

The explosion killed 47 people.

The news release issued by the government said that the money is in response to the reality that current and existing programs to help the people of Lac-Mégantic are not sufficient.

Pierre Moreau, minister of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy, said Lac-Mégantic has so far received $409 million in government aid since the July 6, 2013 disaster.

MORE:cbcNews