LIVING

Woman Blind After Leaving Contacts In For 6 Months (VIDEO)

07/15/2014 05:37 EDT | Updated 07/15/2014 05:59 EDT

It's something out of a nightmare, a story that makes you want to grab your glasses and never let them go.

According to reports, 23-year-old Taiwanese student Lian Kao went blind after leaving her contacts in for six months. The Daily Mail reports Kao had kept her contact lenses in while she slept, showered and went swimming.

If you wear contacts, make sure you read the instructions carefully or talk to your doctor about any concerns about cleaning — but even with extended wear lenses, don't sleep with them in. And never, ever use tap water as solution.

For Kao, though, things got really bad. Check out the video above to find out what happened when doctors tried to remove the contact lenses.

Also on HuffPost

Health Problems Your Doctor Can See First