Families of the fallen, many of whom were either volunteers or senior officers, are attending the ceremony at the Canadian Firefighters Memorial at Lebreton Flats in Ottawa.
Hundreds of firefighters from across Canada were also in attendance on Sunday.
There are now about 1,200 names of Canadian firefighters who have died in the line of duty including those honoured this year.
These are the members who died in the past year:- Firefighter Martin Walsh, Kennetcook District Fire Department, Nova Scotia.
- Firefighter Randy Burch, Toronto Fire Services.
- Capt. David Cartmel , Brantford Fire Department, Ontario.
- Deputy Fire Chief Antonius Lippers, Caledon Fire & Emergency Services, Ontario.
- Acting Capt. Sylvester Maj, Toronto Fire Services.
- Lt. John Mavity , Stratford Fire Department, Ontario.
- Capt. Jon Enander, Lethbridge Fire Department, Alberta.
- Fire Warden George Jones, British Columbia Wildfire Management.
- Firefighter Dave Hill, CFB Esquimalt Fire Rescue, B.C.
The Canadian Firefighters Memorial is Canada’s newest national monument, officially dedicated in 2012 by Gov. Gen. David Johnston.