NEWS

Carla Abogado death: family files $2M lawsuit against police

09/15/2014 11:21 EDT | Updated 11/15/2014 05:59 EST
The family of an 18-year-old girl who was struck and killed by an unmarked police vehicle earlier this year has filed a $2.2-million civil lawsuit against the York Regional Police.

Natasha Carla Abogado, often called Carla, died after she was hit by a police vehicle just after 8 p.m. on Feb. 12 shortly after she stepped off a bus at Warden Road and St. Clair Avenue East.

She was on her way home from work and hit just steps away from the family home.

Police later confirmed the vehicle involved in the accident was a Ford F-150 painted black with tinted windows driven by an on-duty York Regional Police officer.

“This was a tragic event and Carla’s family is suffering,” said lawyer John McLeish in a statement. McLeish is representing the family in the lawsuit, which names the York Regional Police and Const. Remo Romano as defendants.

In June, Romano was charged with dangerous driving causing death.

The statement of claim, which includes allegations not proven in court, says Romano was driving too fast at the time of the accident and failed to keep a proper lookout.

McLeish's statement said the police car involved was equipped with a data event recorder, the contents of which have not been seen by the Abogado family.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the data on the black box, as it will give details on the police officer’s speed and whether or not he attempted to brake,” says McLeish.

MORE:cbcNews