"We announced a fundamental sweep of reforms to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program earlier this year to ensure that it is used as a last and limited resort and that Canadians always come first in the workforce.
"Since those reforms were announced we've seen a 75-per-cent reduction in the number of applications in temporary foreign workers on the part of employers," Kenney said during question period on Tuesday.
Alexis Conrad, the director general for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, says the program overhaul is proving to be successful.
"The number of applications received in July and August 2014 is approximately 74 per cent lower than those received over the same time period in 2012," Conrad said in an email to CBC News.
More to comeSuggest a correction