NEWS

Luka Magnotta trial: Half of jury selected

09/17/2014 02:34 EDT | Updated 06/16/2017 00:56 EDT
The jury selection process in the first-degree murder trial of Luka Magnotta is moving faster than expected.

A sixth juror, a francophone woman with a background in translation, was added to the list this morning. A seventh, a francophone man who works as a professor, was selected this afternoon.

They join the five other candidates selected yesterday — three women and two men. In total, the jury is currently comprised of two anglophones and five francophones.

Language has become an important element of the jury selection because the court is looking for people who are perfectly bilingual. Also significant is just how much the potential jurors have been exposed to elements of the highly-publicized case.

Of the nearly three dozen people they interviewed since Tuesday morning, six have met the right criteria.

Jurors have been asked if they have seen what Magnotta’s lawyer Luc Leclair referred to as the "so-called murder video," which purportedly shows elements of the alleged homicide. 

They've also been asked if they would be able to cope with, "graphic, gruesome and potentially upsetting evidence."

Some jurors have said graphic materials would be too much for them.  One man said he would faint at the sight of blood. These candidates have so far been exempted.

The media was allowed in today to take a look at the courtroom where the trial, which is now expected to begin in early October, will be held.

There will be little room for spectators after the court staff and 14-member jury is accounted for.

Of the 13 remaining seats, five have been reserved for members of the media and three for the family of the victim.

Magnotta faces five charges in connection with the May 2012 slaying of Jun Lin, a 33-year-old Chinese engineering student. 

The court is set to interview more potential jurors this afternoon.

MORE:cbcNews