1) Frank Hurt Playground Opening & Robert Davidson Public Art Unveiling
- Frank Hurt Park (76th Avenue & 138 Street, Surrey)
Ever since their son Devon was stabbed to death near Frank Hurt Park in Surrey back in 2011, Cynthia Allaire-Bell and Wayne Bell have been working to make the park safer.
After an emotional process that involved support from the community, Frank Hurt Secondary School and the City of Surrey, the park is set for its grand re-opening tomorrow.
A new work by renowned artist Robert Davidson is the centrepiece of the renewed park.
City of Surrey event website
2) Vancouver's first annual Tugboat Festival- Saturday, Sept. 20 and Sunday, Sept. 21
- Granville Island in Vancouver
Tugboats will be docked at the public market on Granville Island this weekend for the first annual tugboat festival.
The flagship vessel is a classic SS Master built back in 1922 and has now been restored with mostly original parts.
Tugboat Festival website
3) Garden Dialogues: Vancouver, B.C.- Saturday, Sept. 20 and Sunday Sept. 21
- Multiple locations
Metro Vancouverites get exclusive access to extravagant private gardens and hear directly from the designers and their clients about their collaborative processes. These are some of the city's hidden gems.
Garden Dialogues website
4) South Surrey Chili Cook Off- Sunday, Sept. 21, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- White Rock Farmers’ Market (15154 Russell Ave., Miramar Plaza, White Rock)
Seven Surrey restaurants put their chili recipes to the test in the annual chili cook off. Get a taste of some of the hottest, tastiest chili Surrey has to offer.
5) Vancouver Fashion Week- Sept. 15 - 21 (19+ age restriction)
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza (630 Hamilton Street, at Georgia)
Vancouver Fashion Week is in its 24th year of producing runway shows that celebrate multiculturalism and emerging talent.
Check out the latest in fashion trends as we look forward to the spring and summer 2015 seasons.
Vancouver Fashion Week websiteSuggest a correction