In 2010, the military transferred Maj. Marcus Brauer from Alberta and posted him to CFB Halifax. He says when he sold his house in Bon Accord, he lost $88,000 due to the housing market crash.
Then he was denied payment under a program designed to financially protect military members forced to move from depressed housing markets.
The major says it left his family in near financial ruin.
Brauer thought a four year battle was finally resolved in May when a federal court judge ruled the decision was not justified and ordered another review.
But so far, all he's received is $15,000 to cover court costs.
“I don't think it's right that the government is torturing our Canadian Forces. There are families in dire straits,” he said.
“I've identified something that is wrong. I've worked my ass off to try and resolve it. I've stayed within the law and still, I'm suffering the consequences and my family is suffering the consequences of inaction, of a cruel, cruel system that is doing nothing but punishing us for trying to resolve this issue on behalf of others and ourselves,” he said.
Brauer’s MP, Robert Chisholm, raised the issue in the House of Commons on Thursday.
“It’s been four months, it’s actually been almost five years,” he said. “Why is this government being so unjust to military families? When are they going to do something?”
Tony Clement, the minister responsible for the Treasury Board, says the review of Brauer's case will be done soon.