“[The] statement does not represent my personal morals or values with regards to sport, recruiting, and life in general,” read the statement released Tuesday morning by head coach Clinton J. Uttley.
“If providing young men with a second opportunity has effectively cost me my position as head football coach at McGill, then I accept that consequence in order to maintain a higher moral standard then what’s been dictated.”
Uttley said he met with the team on Tuesday morning and informed them he resigned as head football coach at McGill.
On September 26, McGill University said that 22-year-old business management student Luis-Andres Guimont-Mota should have never been invited to join the team because of a previous assault conviction in 2010 in Quebec City.
The university issued that statement after Guimont-Mota was charged with assault and uttering threats in connection with an incident involving his wife on September 24.
“That student should not have come to McGill University. We take full responsibility for this and we’ll inquire so that these types of things don’t happen in the future,” said McGill Deputy Provost Ollivier Dyens.
Guimont-Mota's lawyer, Steve Hanafi, said last week that his client is himself a victim of assault.
Hanafi said he believes McGill acted hastily in suspending his client in order to protect the university’s image without having all of the facts.
Previous conviction for assault
Guimont-Mota was in his third season with the Redmen and was considered the team's star running back.
Dyens told CBC News last week that he was shocked to learn that Guimont-Mota already had a previous criminal conviction.
Uttley knew about Guimont-Mota's record and he spoke about it openly when Guimont-Mota was recruited from Quebec City in August 2012.
"At the time of his arrival, the University tolerated and accepted his presence and then proceeded to celebrate his accomplishments thereafter," he said in the statement.
“I believe in rehabilitation. The student athlete accepted his conviction and did his punishment, a fact that was not hidden from the university."
Guimont-Mota was awarded the team's 2013 Dan Pronyk Memorial Trophy for most outstanding offensive player.
He has been released on bail and is scheduled to make another court appearance in February.Suggest a correction