NEWS

Woman refuses to leave building set for demolition

10/04/2014 07:30 EDT | Updated 12/04/2014 05:59 EST
A Toronto woman is refusing to vacate an apartment building that is slated for demolition on Monday, setting the stage for an expensive standoff with Toronto Community Housing. 

Candice McGowan and her 12-year-old son are the only people left in the Regent Park highrise, which is due to be knocked down starting Monday as part of that neighbourhood’s revitalization project. 

Other tenants were relocated, while McGowan says she was served with an eviction notice after police found multiple loaded guns in her home last year. 

McGowan says she didn’t know the weapons were there, and blames them on a now ex boyfriend. 

“I never allowed him to be in my house doing illegal things. I never thought he would ever bring something like that in my house,” she told CBC News. 

TCH spokeswoman Sara Goldvine says the rules apply to everyone. 

“The lease-holder is responsible for any criminal activity that occurs in their unit,” she said. 

TCH says it's willing to move McGowan to another unit temporarily if she allows the eviction proceedings against her to continue.

In the meantime, crews will start work on a nearby building. But if crews are forced to stand idle, TCH warns it could cost $10,000 dollars a day. 

MORE:cbcNews