POLITICS

3 dead after 2 shootings in Toronto that forced students to stay inside schools

10/06/2014 03:58 EDT | Updated 12/06/2014 05:59 EST
TORONTO - A 15-year-old boy is among three people who died Monday in two separate shootings in Toronto that forced the lockdown of several nearby schools.

The first shooting occurred around noon in the city's northwest, killing two males. Police say one of the victims was in his late teens while a Toronto Catholic District School Board trustee says the second was 15.

Police say the shots rang out in a parking lot near the School of Experiential Education, with that school and three others nearby immediately put into lockdown.

Then, around 3 p.m. — moments after police announced restrictions at the schools had been lifted — a male in an east-end alley (near Regent Park) was fatally shot in the head and chest.

Four schools nearby were put on hold and secure but given the all-clear about two hours later.

Police say they are searching for three suspects believed to be armed and dangerous in connection with the east-end shooting.

Police Supt. Ron Taverner said at this point the shooting in the northwest is believed to be targeted but unrelated to the Experiential Education school where the victims were found.

"As far as we're aware right now there is no connection to the school. It just happened the victims went to the rear of the school from where the shooting is," he told reporters at the scene.

"Certainly a very devastating thing to have happened here in the middle of the afternoon, and very close to two schools quite frankly."

He said one person of interest had been taken into custody but that no weapon had been recovered yet.

Police are looking for three suspects in the shooting.

Toronto Catholic District School Board Trustee Maria Rizzo said in an email the 15-year-old victim was a student at James Cardinal McGuigan, a high school about 10 kilometres away.

(The Canadian Press, Newstalk1010, 680news)