NEWS

Crown granted leave to appeal Guy Turcotte's bail

10/09/2014 04:38 EDT | Updated 12/09/2014 05:59 EST
Quebec's highest court will review the decision to release Guy Turcotte on bail.

Turcotte, the ex-cardiologist who faces a new trial on murder charges after he stabbed his two children to death in 2009, was granted conditional bail last month, but today prosecutors argued that was a mistake. Lawyers for the Crown said his release reduces public confidence in the justice system.

In rendering his decision last month, Quebec Superior Court Judge André Vincent had said he believed releasing Turcotte would not cause the public to lose faith in the justice system. Turcotte is entitled to be presumed innocent until proven guilty in the lead-up to a murder trial in which the entire process will start from zero, Vincent noted.

Turcotte’s release involves a number of conditions, including not communicating with or coming within 100 metres of ex-wife Isabelle Gaston. He will also have to respect a curfew, live at his uncle’s home and continue his psychiatric therapy and medication regimen.

The appeal of Turcotte's temporary release will be heard November 10 at the Quebec Court of Appeal.

The former cardiologist is awaiting his second trial for the killing of his two children. Turcotte was found not criminally responsible in his first trial in the deaths of Olivier, 5, and Anne-Sophie, 3. The Court of Appeal overturned that verdict last November and ordered a new trial.

His second trial will start next September.

MORE:cbcNews