NEWS

Parliament Hill shooting prompts security clampdown in B.C.

10/22/2014 01:05 EDT | Updated 12/22/2014 05:59 EST
Extra security measures were put in place in B.C. Wednesday, after a man shot a soldier standing guard at the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa.

In Victoria, no tourists or members of the public are being permitted to enter the B.C. legislature, which has stationed extra guards at each entrance.

However, pre-booked school tours are still being allowed in to the building and the Sergeant-at-Arms Gary Lenz says it will be business as usual for legislature staff.

Speaking on Wednesday morning, House Clerk Craig James told reporters a number of members of the legislature were contacted earlier in the week about concerns from Ottawa over a security threat.​

James would not speak in detail about the non-specific threat but told reporters "steps were taken."

However, at the same press conference, Lenz went so far as to say there was no specific threat to the legislature as of Wednesday morning.

Meanwhile B.C. Premier Christy Clark tweeted Wednesday that "B.C. stands with all of Canada against the violence in Ottawa, and with the brave men and women keeping our capital safe."

Minister Shirley Bond said, "Our thoughts are with the families of people directly impacted....It is hard to accept this as a Canadian. We just don't think this kind of thing happen here in Canada."

Meanwhile, B.C. Transit police announced they would be boosting security in a tweet on Wednesday morning.

More to come

MORE:cbcNews