The family told police their daughter was trick-or-treating with friends in the Astral Drive and Stratford Drive area of Cole Harbour Halloween night.
On Sunday, while their daughter was eating some of her Halloween treats, she broke a chocolate bar in half and saw a pin sticking out.
The girl breaks all of her candy in half before eating it. Cpl. J.D. Spence.
"So when she did that, she found a pin in the middle of the chocolate bar. It's a Wunderbar, one of the smaller-type Halloween chocolate bars that are given out. So she found one and then reported it to the police," he said.
"It's a good habit to have, a good safety habit. We haven't had this kind of report in — I don't remember the last time we had one like this, so certainly it is something that's unexpected. You're basically taking food from strangers, right? So it's not a bad practice to [check your candy]."
Police say there have been no other reports of treats having been tampered with.
They're asking parents and children to be extra cautious with their Halloween candy and report any signs of tampering to police.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST