Lt.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, the head of Canadian military operations, is briefing journalists on Canada's combat strikes against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS. CBCNews.ca is carrying it live.
Senior defence officials will also appear before a House committee to take questions from MPs at 3:30 p.m. ET. CBCNews.ca will carry it live.
The officials who will appear at the House defence committee are:
- Col. Mark Gendron, deputy judge advocate general.
- Maj.-Gen. Michael Hood, director of staff for the strategic joint staff.
Canada has six CF-18 fighter jets, as well as two CP-140 Aurora surveillance aircraft and a CC-150 Polaris operating out of air bases in Kuwait. The combat mission, which began with the first patrols last week, has been carried out under a blanket of secrecy with the Canadian military denying media access to the bases, citing security concerns of their Kuwaiti hosts.
On Sunday, two CF-18s targeted ISIS positions with laser-guided GBU-12, 500-pound bombs "in the vicinity of Fallujah," a large city in central Iraq about 70 kilometres west of the capital Baghdad, Defence Minister Rob Nicholson said in a statement.
Fallujah is infamous among U.S. soldiers as the scene of the heaviest fighting during the decade-long American war in Iraq.
The Iraqi government lost control of the city in January when Islamic State fighters clashed with police following the withdrawal of the Iraqi army from Anbar province. Fallujah has since been an ISIS stronghold.
The mission lasted approximately four hours, the statement said, and included an air-to-air refuelling of the fighter jets by a CC-150 Polaris aircraft. All aircraft made it safely back to base.Suggest a correction