11/10/2014 12:32 EST | Updated 01/10/2015 05:59 EST

Bus crash knocked TTC driver out of his seat, CEO Andy Byford says

Moments after arriving at the scene of Sunday's fatal crash involving a car and a Toronto transit bus, Andy Byford knew this wasn't a typical collision.

"That was a pretty shocking accident," the TTC CEO said Monday on CBC Radio's Metro Morning. "It's not every day that you see one of your buses embedded in a building."

The collision happened just after 6 a.m. at the intersection of Kipling Avenue and West Humber Boulevard in Etobicoke, a suburb of west Toronto.

The eastbound TTC bus collided with a Nissan Altima. After the impact, the bus rolled away from the intersection, taking out a traffic light and fire hydrant before careening across a parking lot and smashing into the front of a CIBC bank, about 150 metres away from the original collision site.

Byford said the impact of the collision knocked the driver out of his seat, apparently leaving him unable to bring the vehicle to a stop. He suffered minor injuries.

A 24-year-old man in the Nissan was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other people in the car were taken to hospital in critical condition. By Monday their conditions had improved and their injuries were no longer considered life-threatening.

Some of the six passengers on board the bus were able to walk off, but others suffered back or neck injuries and were taken away on backboards.

Byford said he expects there will be plenty of video evidence from the accident. The bus is equipped with a DVR, a device similar to an airplane's black box. It records what was happening on board the bus at the time of the crash.

"Our understanding from uncorroborated witness statements is that the bus had stopped at a red light and only proceeded on the green," said Byford. "We're still waiting for the police to give us their verdict."

Byford said he expects there will also be footage from the shops in the shopping plaza.  

Police have not said whether there will be charges.