Emergency officials say transit buses were called in to keep tenants warm when the overnight blaze broke out in a second-storey suite of the southwest-area building.
A large volume of flame sparked the second alarm, but the fire in the four-storey block was quickly brought under control.
The building filled with smoke and some occupants had to get safety using firefighters' ladders.
Some media reports say at least one person jumped from a balcony.
There is no word of injuries, but officials say one person was taken to hospital as a precaution. (The Canadian Press, CHQR)Suggest a correction