NEWS

Witness comes forward in case of SQ car crash that killed 5-year-old boy

11/20/2014 09:48 EST | Updated 01/20/2015 05:59 EST
A witness has come forward in the case of the deadly Longueuil crash last February that killed a five-year-old boy.

CBC News has learned that Montreal police investigators met with a woman at her home Thursday night.

Mélanie Maynard said she witnessed cars racing on a nearby Longueuil street not long before the crash occurred.

She said one car passed by her vehicle and nearly clipped off the side mirror.

The investigation at the time found an unmarked Sûreté du Québec car was travelling at 122 kilometres per hour in a 50 kilometre-per-hour zone.

It’s unclear whether the two incidents were connected or whether the same vehicle was involved.

Maynard said that, back in February, she reported what she saw to someone whom she believed to be a Montreal police officer on the scene — but it wasn’t until she gave a TV interview earlier this week that investigators got in touch with her and scheduled to speak with her Thursday night.

Victim’s family wants answers

Islande Belance, the five-year-old victim's aunt, wants to know why investigators didn't contact Maynard earlier.

“They left out that very important information. Why?" Belance told CBC.

“''I'm happy that things are starting to move in the right direction because there was too [many] secrets around that thing. It didn't make [any] sense. It was ridiculous.''

Belance is asking other witnesses to come forward.

Prosecutors have said they won't lay charges against the officer who was behind the wheel.

Montreal police say the case is officially closed, but they say they follow up nonetheless when new information comes to light.

MORE:cbcNews