Nicolas Gabriel was killed and more than a dozen families were displaced when the townhouses near Queen Street East and Kennedy Street North went up in flames early on June 8. Gabriel was at a sleepover at a friend's home at the time.
Court documents obtained by the CBC say the owners are facing charges under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act for allegedly failing to maintain smoke alarms in working condition.
The documents allege some units had alarms that were not working. Others allegedly had alarms with missing batteries and some floors were missing smoke alarms entirely.
It is not known whether smoke alarms were working or present in the unit where Gabriel was staying.
Wynne Properties told CBC News the charges are unjustified.Suggest a correction