NEWS

Justin Bourque had 'kit' ready the night of Mountie shootings

12/05/2014 09:23 EST | Updated 02/04/2015 05:59 EST
Sealed evidence released Friday in the case of Justin Bourque provides insight about the Moncton Mountie killer's frame of mind when he went on a shooting rampage on June 4.

The evidence, ordered released by Chief Justice David Smith, includes Bourque's three-hour video statement to police shortly after his arrest.

When the officer asks Bourque how long he had been planning the attack, he replied: "I just always had a kit that was kind of ready, you know, in case disaster did strike.

"Like I was always in the mindset, peace doesn’t last forever. It never does and I just kinda had stuff ready, you know what I mean, like, except for water."

Bourque, 24, answers the officer's questions with little emotion, other than bravado.

"I don't know where they get these guys," Bourque said, referring to the Mounties he shot.

He describes fatally shooting three officers and wounding two others using phrases such as, "I tagged him" and "I just kind of double tapped."

In one case, Bourque estimates he was only about six metres away when he used his high-powered rifle.

In another instance, Bourque says the officer was running when he fired at him.

“He was going to try and take me down I guess, but I don’t know what he was thinking. Obviously not very combat savvy guy."

Asked whether he knows three people are dead, Bourque replies simply, "Mmmhmm."

Later, as Bourque is signing a statement, he says: "They told me not to talk, you know, about all this stuff …  but as far as I’m concerned, you know, you guys got me."

The released evidence also includes several photos of Bourque's mobile home that show a copy of the U.S. Army's Improvised Munitions Handbook, a self-study package for a C7A2 automatic rifle pinned to his wall, and a 20-gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun above the bed.

There are also maps the Crown used during its presentation to the courtroom that show the route Bourque travelled during his rampage in the north end of the city and the 12.6-km area that was locked down during the standoff.

Bourque, 24, was sentenced in October to life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years after pleading guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

It is the longest sentence without parole eligibility in Canadian history.

The RCMP officers who were killed on June 4 were:

- Const. Douglas James Larche, 40, from Saint John.

- Const. Dave Joseph Ross, 32, from Victoriaville, Que.

- Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45, originally from Boulogne-Billancourt, France.

The officers who were wounded were:

- Const. Éric Stéphane J. Dubois.

- Const. Marie Darlene Goguen.

-

MORE:cbcNews