NEWS

'It just went boof': E-bike batteries can cause fires, Toronto man warns

12/09/2014 06:24 EST | Updated 02/08/2015 05:59 EST
A Toronto man is warning other e-bike owners after he says his new battery caught fire while he was charging it in his apartment. 

Kyle Andrews bought a lithium battery-powered e-bike a few months ago. Everything was fine, he said, until he tried charging a new battery with a charger he already owned. 

"It exploded right in front of me," said Andrews. "When I turned over my head it looked like I was staring into the sun."

The store where Andrews purchased the e-bike and battery says they've sold about 20 units and have had no other complaints from customers.

Toronto Fire Services Capt. Stephan Powell says he's heard of lithium batteries catching fire, but that typically the problem is how they are charged, rather than the battery itself.

Watch the video report from the CBC's Kate Adach above to learn more about the possible dangers of e-bike batteries. 

MORE:cbcNews