NEWS

Kitten dies after eating pine needles from Christmas tree bought at Home Depot

12/11/2014 12:10 EST | Updated 02/10/2015 05:59 EST
A kitten is dead after it ingested some amount of ethylene glycol, a chemical commonly found in anti-freeze, suspected to have been on a Christmas tree purchased at Home Depot.

A Stoney Creek, Ont., family adopted a black kitten named Luna from the cat rescue group called Forever Home.

The family brought home a Christmas tree from Home Depot after taking the kitten home. They said the feline ingested pine needles and later died. A veterinarian informed the family the cause of death was poisoning from ethylene glycol, extremely toxic to cats.

The two young children in the family are said to be devastated. The family said the youngest girl is having a difficult time coping with the loss, blaming herself because she picked out the tree.

Home Depot has picked up the tree from the family and is looking into the claim, though the retail giant said this is the only reported case in Ontario. 

"Although we have only one reported incident in Ontario we continue to investigate the issue with our merchants and vendors," said Cheryl Flicker, a spokesperson for the home supplies and repair corporation in an email to CBC News.

"This situation relates to a very small quantity of a specific product, which was available at a small number of select stores."

Flicker did not specify what particular product or stores she was referencing. 

MORE:cbcNews