NEWS

Bacteria confirmed in turkey served at New Brunswick community dinner

12/16/2014 04:28 EST | Updated 02/15/2015 05:59 EST
FREDERICTON - An investigation has concluded that two types of bacteria were found in turkey that was served at a New Brunswick community dinner where about 30 people became sick and an 87-year-old woman later died.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, acting chief medical officer of health, says Clostridium perfringens and Bacillus cereus were found in turkey that was served at a dinner on Dec. 5 in Nackawic.

Russell says there were some food handling issues, but added she cannot specifically identify what practices led to the proliferation of the bacteria.

She says it's possible that the turkey wasn't thawed, stored or cooked properly.

Russell says the bacteria was also found in vegetables served at the dinner but she believes that was likely due to cross-contamination from the turkey.

Public health officials are encouraging groups hosting community dinners to read provincial guidelines for food handling on government websites and to call in a food safety inspector for assistance.

MORE:cpNews