NEWS

Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger treated for hand burns after home fire

12/21/2014 12:13 EST | Updated 02/20/2015 05:59 EST
Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger suffered burns to his right hand after a fire broke out at his east-end home on Saturday, the mayor's office said.  

Firefighters arrived at the mayor's home shortly after 5 p.m and found that the fire originated in the clothes dryer. They removed the dryer and dealt with "a significant amount of smoke," according to a release from the mayor's office. 

The mayor was transported to Hamilton General Hospital where he was treated for possible smoke inhalation and his hand was bandaged. 

"I want to offer my sincere thanks to the Hamilton Fire Department, Paramedics and Hamilton Police Service for their response and good care for us and our home and hospital staff who provided excellent treatment," Eisenberger said in the release.

The mayor also tweeted on Sunday to express his gratitude. 

Eisenberger was released from the hospital shortly after 10 p.m. and is expected to return on Sunday to change the dressing on his hand, the mayor's spokesperson Amanda Kinnaird said. He is also expected to visit the burn unit on Monday for further assessment. 

The mayor's wife Diane and family members were not injured. 

"The Mayor reminds everyone about the importance of having a fire extinguisher in your home and how to properly use it," the mayor's office said. 

MORE:cbcNews