NEWS

Yorkville restaurants secured for fire investigators

12/27/2014 04:32 EST | Updated 02/26/2015 05:59 EST
Cranes and other heavy equipment arrived on Saturday to shore up two Yorkville restaurants that were destroyed in a massive fire on Christmas Day, as the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal begins its investigation. 

It is not yet known how much, if any, of the Avenue Road building that was once home to SpuntiniRistorante & Bar and SottoSotto can be salvaged. 

The buildings must be secured so the investigation can continue safely, said Peter Hamilton, one of two officials with the fire marshal's office who is working on the investigation. 

Hamilton added the fire is not necessarily suspicious, contrary to an earlier statement from Toronto fire officials. 

"We have not ruled anything out and all things are still on the table," Hamilton told reporters. "We have not conducted any scene investigation as of yet." 

"The purpose of all of our meetings up to this point is to gather the equipment, the necessary equipment to make the scene safe."

The fire marshal met earlier in the day with investigators, engineers, insurance adjusters and city officials. 

Spuntini majority owner Fernando Esteves told CBC News he's waiting to see what, if anything, can be saved from the site. 

"Some of the floor is caved in. The roof caved in. There's a lot of piled up — nobody knows anything else," Esteves said. 

MORE:cbcNews