NEWS

Quentin Collier swallows pin ahead of Kamloops fashion show

01/13/2015 02:58 EST | Updated 03/15/2015 05:59 EDT
A budding Kamloops fashion designer has hit a snag ahead of a big show this Friday.

Grade 12 student Quentin Collier will showcase his latest collection at Hotel 540, but while preparing he swallowed a pin.

"Pins are - it's kind of a fastidious thing to pick them up - so I just pick up a few and pin them in my mouth. That's how I pin things," he told Daybreak Kamloops' Shelley Joyce.

"It's a really bad habit. It's really unsafe, as was proven by last night's event."

Collier laughed at a friend's joke, and felt one of two pins he was holding go down his throat.

"I started freaking out because I remembered this story about a girl who had to get emergency surgery, and I was like 'I can't get surgery. That's so many days of recovery. I'm never going to get stuff done.'"

His dad rushed him to the hospital, where an x-ray showed the pin was already making its way down his digestive tract.

Collier now has to wait for it to pass, and is going for a follow-up x-ray tomorrow to make sure it hasn't punctured anything along the way.

He said he thinks he can feel it, but isn't sure.

"Sometimes I feel a pain, and I'm like 'oh no, that's probably it,' but then I think 'how many aches and pains does the normal human have every day?'"

Through the whole ordeal, Collier has learned a very specific lesson.

"Sometimes it's easier to just pick up the pins with your fingers rather than resorting to unsafe methods of having pins handy," he said.

To hear more about Quentin Collier's mishap, click the audio labelled: Kamloops teen fashion designer's medical misfortune prior to show.

MORE:cbcNews