POLITICS

RCMP to respond to report out Friday on slaying of three Mounties in Moncton

01/15/2015 08:34 EST | Updated 03/17/2015 05:59 EDT
MONCTON, N.B. - An RCMP review into the fatal shootings of three of its officers last year in Moncton, N.B., is scheduled to be released Friday.

The RCMP says it will also respond to the report's recommendations.

Two officers were also wounded in the June 4 shootings.

Justin Bourque was sentenced to 75 years in prison in October after pleading guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

The 25-year-old labourer admitted in a statement to police that he used a semi-automatic rifle to shoot the five officers in the city's north end.

Afterwards, he fled into the woods near a suburban neighbourhood, where he was arrested 28 hours later.

In July, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson appointed retired assistant commissioner Phonse MacNeil to lead the review into what happened in Moncton, including the equipment and training his officers are given.

The RCMP faced criticism last summer from Rob Creaser of the Mounted Police Professional Association about the equipment and training its officers receive. He has said many detachments don't have high-powered rifles or specialized armour that is better able to protect against rifle fire.

Bourque killed constables Dave Ross, 32, Fabrice Gevaudan, 45, and Doug Larche, 40. Constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen were injured.