LIVING

Canadian Basketball Player Likely Inhaled Gum Before Her Death, Police Say

01/20/2015 12:45 EST | Updated 03/22/2015 05:59 EDT
CALIFORNIA, Pa. - A Canadian basketball player at California University of Pennsylvania likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before being found dead in her dormitory over the weekend.

The Washington County coroner's office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday.

University officials said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the six-foot senior forward.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

An autopsy was conducted Monday.

Although the coroner didn't immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping.