The squad, the only dedicated fugitive unit in Canada, has eight investigators who are currently working on nearly 1,000 active files from across Canada and around the world.
The squad normally doesn't publicize its targets, preferring the element of surprise, according to Det. Sgt. Wayne Banks. But the trails of the suspects on the list have gone cold and police are appealing to the public for information.
“We have two million pairs of eyes out there helping us and that's why we need to community to step forward,” Banks told CBC News.
The suspects named in the top eight cold cases on the list are:- Andre Neverson, a suspect in the homicides of his sister and girlfriend in 2004. He is an American citizen but has associates in the GTA.
- Peter Silvera, a former Jamaican police officer wanted in his native country in connection with two deaths in 2004. It is believed he fled to Canada, specifically to the Toronto area, and is hiding using an alias. He has family in the Brampton area.
- Daniel Hiers, a U.S. citizen and a former police officer from Charleston City, S.C. He was dismissed due to alleged sexual criminal conduct with a minor. Authorities also started an investigation into the death of his wife in 2005. He is a martial arts expert who speaks Spanish and Portuguese. He is considered armed and dangerous.
- Frederick McLean, wanted for multiple counts of sexual assault on a child in the San Diego area. He is a U.S. citizen who is an auto mechanic by trade and a vintage car enthusiast. He is a Jehovah’s Witness and may still be involved with the church.
- Gifton Cousins, wanted for homicide in New York. He has ties to New York, Toronto and Jamaica. He is said to be flashy and likes to show off.
- Shadia Muse, the only female fugitive on the list. She is wanted in the death of a newborn child. She is believed to be hiding within the Somalian community in the Etobicoke/Rexdale area.
- Dan Agbasi, wanted for fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud. The Nigerian national is known to reside in the Brampton and Mississauga area and is believed to have associates in the GTA.
- Enrique Rodriguez, wanted for numerous criminal sex acts, sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child. He is a Mexican national with associates in the GTA. He is also believed to have attempted to enter Canada in the past.
One suspect that stood out to Bank is McLean, who Banks said might be hiding out in the Durham region.
"He is dangerous to our community because predators do not stop just because they move borders," Banks said.
The most wanted fugitives could be walking among the residents without their knowledge, Banks added.
“They could be people that you go to a gym with. They could be fellow workers. They could be people in social atmosphere. They could be friends,” he said.Suggest a correction