NEWS

Robert Pickton: Woman's family seeks new murder trial after remains returned

01/28/2015 01:05 EST | Updated 03/30/2015 05:59 EDT
The family of a woman whose partial skeletal remains were found on Robert Pickton's B.C. farm wants the case reopened and a new murder charge laid against the convicted serial killer

The woman's identity has yet to be released by her family.

But the president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs (BCUIC), Stewart Phillip, says a family member will speak publicly on Wednesday morning in Vancouver.

Pickton was originally charged with killing 26 women, but the remaining charges were stayed when he was convicted in 2007 with the second-degree murder of six women. He is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

In the case of the family member who will speak Wednesday, a statement from the BCUIC says the woman's DNA was found on Pickton's Port Coquitlam farm in 2003, but in an oversight, the remains were placed in RCMP storage.

In 2010, the remains were transferred to storage facilities of the BC Coroners Service, and then recently returned to the family.

The family was notified by the coroner's office in August about the oversight, but did not receive details until September.

The family wants the coroner to re-examine the remains, confirm the woman's identity, and for the Crown to lay criminal charges.

Police and Crown prosecutors have yet to comment on the case and it remains unclear if police have previously publicly identified the woman or linked her death to Pickton.

Crown prosecutors have said they have no plans to put him on trial again because he has already received the maximum sentence possible

MORE:cbcNews