Kinder Morgan Stops Court Action Against Burnaby Protesters

Posted: Updated:
KINDER MORGAN
A Kinder Morgan employee drills on Burnaby Mountain in the background as a sign placed by a anti-pipeline demonstrator is pictured in the foreground in Burnaby, B.C., on Nov. 24, 2014. The proposed $5-billion expansion would nearly triple the capacity of the pipeline that carries crude oil from near Edmonton to the Vancouver area to be loaded on tankers and shipped overseas. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward | CP
Print

BURNABY, B.C. - Kinder Morgan says it will not continue court action against protesters who demonstrated against the proposed expansion of a pipeline while survey crews drilled on Burnaby Mountain.

The company has filed a discontinuance of its B.C. Supreme Court civil lawsuit against five people who protested at the site last November and December.

It says it approached all the defendants last month and offered to stop its proceedings and that two of the defendants agreed but discontinuing the court action doesn't require agreement from all the activists.

In late November, a judge tossed out civil contempt charges against dozens of activists who were arrested after Kinder Morgan admitted it provided incorrect GPS co-ordinates when it sought an injunction.

The injunction kept away protesters, and the company wanted to extend it beyond a Dec. 1 deadline.

A judge refused to grant that request, forcing Kinder Morgan to pack up before it completed the work.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

Close
Kinder Morgan Pipeline Protest, Fall 2014
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Around the Web

Alan Dutton's bid to dismiss Kinder Morgan lawsuit rejected

'Bomb Train' Suits Seen Slowing U.S. Oil Independence

Groups sue over Bakersfield rail terminal

Breakingviews: Oil billionaire pumps Kinder Morgan for tidy gain