NEWS

Poisoning suspected after chili sends 2 men to hospital

02/06/2015 07:35 EST | Updated 04/08/2015 05:59 EDT
Two men who fell ill after eating a chili lunch from the same Druxy’s deli in Toronto have prompted police and health officials to investigate the possibility of deliberate poisoning. ​ 

Mike Hadrovic told CBC News "something was off" about the chili he got at a Druxy's deli last Friday, and ate during an office meeting. 

"It sort of had an off-taste, so I stopped halfway through," Hadrovic said.

"By the end of my meeting, about 10 minutes later, I felt really heavy-limbed and tired and out of it and I couldn't really articulate what I wanted to say." 

A colleague took him to an emergency room where a test found tricyclic antidepressants — which Hadrovic does not take — in his blood. 

2nd patient, same lunch

Hadrovic told the hospital staff about the chili, which is when they said there was another patient in the same ER with similar symptoms. 

"It turns out he also ate at the same restaurant for lunch and he had chili," Hadrovic said. 

The police took the rest of Hadrovic's chili for testing and are investigating both cases as possible poisonings. Toronto Public Health is also investigating. 

Druxy's said in a statement it has investigated and has stopped selling chili at that location, on Consumers Road near Sheppard Avenue East and Victoria Park Avenue. 

"Despite selling chili to other customers that day there have been no other reports of health issues from customers," the deli chain said. 

"We believe that this is an issue that is unrelated to Druxy's"

MORE:cbcNews