NEWS

Mohamed Fahmy's retrial set to begin in Egypt Thursday

02/08/2015 09:33 EST | Updated 04/10/2015 05:59 EDT
A retrial for Canadian Mohamed Fahmy and another Al-Jazeera journalist jailed in Egypt is set to begin on Thursday, a lawyer for one of the men said on Sunday.

"The session has been set for Feb. 12, 2015. It is the new session for the retrial," said Mostafa Nagy, lawyer for Egyptian journalist Baher Mohamed.

Fahmy has been in a Cairo jail since December 2013, when he and his Al-Jazeera colleagues, Australian journalist Peter Greste and Baher Mohamed, were arrested and accused of aiding the Muslim Brotherhood.

Greste was freed on Feb. 1, although one month earlier a court had ordered a retrial for him and his two colleagues.

The three were sentenced to seven to 10 years on charges including spreading lies to help a terrorist organization.

International human rights lawyer Amal Clooney has requested a meeting with Egypt's president and foreign minister to speak to them on Fahmy's behalf.

"Despite clear assurances that he would be released, Mr. Fahmy remains in detention in Egypt," Clooney said in a letter obtained by the media on Saturday.

The letter asks for a meeting with President Abdel Fatah el-Sisi or his officials "as soon as possible."

Clooney said lawyers for the journalist had been told after Greste was released and deported that Fahmy's release would be "imminent."

CBC's Saša Petricic reported ‏on Twitter that Fahmy's family is "disappointed and sad" that a new trial date has been set and is urging the Canadian government to step up pressure to help secure his release.

MORE:cbcNews