BRITISH COLUMBIA

Fire in dryer suspected cause of blaze in hotel at Vernon, B.C., ski resort

02/12/2015 02:47 EST | Updated 04/14/2015 05:59 EDT
VERNON, B.C. - A fire in a hotel at the Silver Star Mountain Resort in Vernon, B.C., has caused extensive smoke and water damage.

General manager Russell Haubrich (HOW'-brick) of the Vance Creek Hotel says a dryer caught fire in a room next to a restaurant.

He suspects grease residue from rags ignited the blaze, which was reported at about 4:30 a.m.

Haubrich says water from the sprinkler system ran for about half an hour, damaging the ceiling in a bar at the hotel.

He says the restaurant was expected to reopen later Thursday, but the bar may be closed for up to two days. (CKIZ)