NEWS

Villeray stove fire sends woman to hospital

02/12/2015 07:23 EST | Updated 04/14/2015 05:59 EDT
A late-night fire in Villeray sent an elderly woman overcome by smoke to the hospital.

The fire began in the kitchen of a home on Foucher Street just before 11 p.m. on Wednesday.

Fire operations chief Benoit Brouillard said the woman was the only one at home at the time.

He said the victim managed to escape through the back door.

The fire appears to have started around the stove, but it's not yet known whether it was the result of a cooking accident or an electrical problem.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation but was otherwise uninjured.

The flames did not spread to neighbouring homes.

MORE:cbcNews