NEWS

Toddler Overdoses On Marijuana Cookies, RCMP Charge Dad

02/18/2015 10:57 EST | Updated 02/18/2015 10:59 EST
Bob Berg via Getty Images
SANTA MONICA, CA - SEPTEMBER 17, 2007: Medical cannibis edibles still life of chocolate chip cookies, cannabis butter and cannabis brand OG Kush. These are for legal sale in the state of California. (Photo by Bob Berg/Getty Images)
A 20-month-old child is recovering after suffering an overdose linked to marijuana-laced cookies, RCMP in Swift Current, Sask. say. The boy's father is facing charges.

Officers were alerted to the case after the child was admitted to hospital in an unconscious state. Police said medical staff had the child in an intensive care bed for two days.

According to RCMP, toxicology tests revealed a high level of marijuana in the boy’s blood. With further investigation, they learned the child's father had made a batch of cookies with marijuana in them. In a statement about the case, RCMP said the child was "given access to the cookies" and suffered an overdose. That led to seizures and the child was admitted to hospital.

RCMP said a 36-year-old man appeared in Swift Current provincial court today on a number of charges, including criminal negligence causing bodily harm and possession of marijuana.

The man was still in custody and has another court date set for Feb. 20.

The man's name was not released in order to protect the identity of the child.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

10 Pot Edibles That Look Like Real Food (List)