POLITICS

Ontario's New Sex-Ed Curriculum Criticized As Distraction From Sudbury Byelection Scandal

02/24/2015 04:00 EST | Updated 04/25/2015 05:59 EDT
CP
TORONTO - The Opposition says it won't let Ontario's Liberal government "change the channel" on allegations of bribery in a Sudbury byelection with the new sex education curriculum.

The first update to the curriculum in 17 years was released before question period Monday, but the government did not face a single query on it from either the Progressive Conservatives or New Democrats.

Interim PC Leader Jim Wilson says the Liberals rushed out the curriculum after they came under increased fire over Elections Ontario's findings that there was "an apparent" violation of a bribery section of the Elections Act.

Premier Kathleen Wynne had said last week it would be weeks before the revised sex-ed curriculum would be released, but Wilson says the Liberals decided it could help take the focus "off their scandals" now.

Wynne says one of the reasons she wanted the curriculum released Monday was so the information would be public before a protest planned for today on the front lawn of the legislature.

The protest against the sex-ed curriculum will take place at the same time as today's question period, and Wilson says the only Conservatives expected to attend are the candidates for the PC leadership.

He says the Tories won't fall into the Liberals' trap and will focus on the Feb. 5 byelection, which the OPP is investigating to see if charges should be laid after a candidate alleged he was offered a job or appointment to step aside.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

Least, Most Popular Premiers (March 2015)