NEWS

Allan Schoenborn, child-killer, seeking day passes from hospital

02/26/2015 01:26 EST | Updated 04/28/2015 05:59 EDT
A review that could allow child-killer Allan Schoenborn to go on escorted day trips from his psychiatric hospital in Port Coquitlam is raising concerns once again for the family of his victims.

Seven years ago, Schoenborn stabbed and smothered his three children to death before fleeing to the woods near Merritt, B.C.

He was caught by a hunter and his tracking dog 10 days later following an intensive manhunt in the hills around the Interior B.C. town.

At Schoenborn's trial the judge found that the killings of Kaitlynne, Max and Cordon were deliberate and planned, but that Schoenborn was not sane at the time, and could not be held criminally responsible.

Held in a psychiatric hospital, Schoenborn's  case is reviewed annually. This year, he has once again requested escorted day trips.

Opening old wounds

Dave Teixeira, who speaks for Darcie Clark, the mother of the murdered children, says the yearly hearings are hard on the family.

"Darcie Clark and family detest these yearly reviews," he said. "It opens up old wounds every single time they have to re-live it, they have to write victim impact statements."

Teixeira is hoping that Schoenborn could eventually be deemed a high-risk offender under new legislation passed last summer that would keep him in custody for three years more years before another review occurs.

"The family is very hopeful that the B.C. Review Board will continue to be supportive of victim rights and in all sincerity we hope that Allan Schoenborn gets the 36-month term and focuses on getting better instead of focusing on getting out."

But under the Not Criminally Responsible Reform Act, Schoenborn's case would have to be returned to the original trial judge to determine whether he is considered high-risk.

It’s not clear whether Crown prosecutors will ask for the designation to be applied in this case.

“Crown has been reviewing the applicability of the new provisions to Mr. Schoenborn's case, but has not commenced any application so far,”  Crown spokesperson Neil Mackenzie said earlier this month.

Hearing continues

If the panel decides to grant Schoenborn day passes, the family must be advised, and they plan to make that information public, said Teixeira.

"It is a recipe for disaster and this man will not succeed, and worse he may go and harm someone else."

Teixeira says, to date, the hearings have revealed details about Schoenborn's time inside the psychiatric institution.

"They are bringing to light issues that we never knew about...11 different violent incidences that Schoenborn's been involved in the last year."

At the hearing on Thursday, Crown counsel is expected to continue questioning of doctors and witnesses, as well as Schoenborn himself.

"We would hope that the evidence shows without a shadow of a doubt that Allan Schoenborn continues to be a high-risk to re-offend, and that he should be held in custody for up to 36 months," Teixeira said.



 

MORE:cbcNews