NEWS

Elton McDonald, Digger Of Toronto's Mystery Tunnel, Speaks Out To Toronto Sun

03/05/2015 12:52 EST | Updated 05/05/2015 05:59 EDT
TORONTO - A Toronto newspaper says it has found the man behind the so-called mystery tunnel discovered near a Pan Am Games venue in the city's north end.

The Toronto Sun says 22-year-old Elton McDonald described himself as the "main digger" for the 10-metre long underground chamber that captured international attention last week.

The paper quotes McDonald as saying it took about five months to build the bunker, that he had planned to add a few more rooms and put in a TV.

He reportedly told the Sun the chamber had been there more than two years when police were alerted to its presence in January.

Toronto police said Monday that two men built the tunnel as a place to "hang out" and that no criminal charges would be laid.

The discovery was announced a week earlier, prompting many to speculate online about the chamber's origin and purpose.

Also on HuffPost

#TorontoTunnel Theories