About 60 firefighters responded to the fire, which was put out a little before 10 p.m. on Thursday.
It began in an electrical room on the hotel’s fifth floor shortly after 8 p.m.
No was injured, but there were some uncomfortable moments as guests had to act quickly to leave the hotel, which is located near Quebec's National Assembly.
A few people were in the pool when the fire alarm went off and were briefly left standing outside in -18 C with little more than a towel.
Guests were taken by bus to other hotels in the area.
The evacuation of the hotel, which has 31 floors, took place in an orderly fashion, said Quebec City fire department spokeswoman France Voiselle.
“Thanks to quick intervention, the worst was avoided,” Voiselle said.