NEWS

Exploramer marine museum in Gaspé damaged by fire

03/11/2015 12:21 EDT | Updated 05/11/2015 05:59 EDT
A Gaspé marine museum is dealing with at least $200,000 worth of damage after a major fire.

Local firefighters got a call around 11 p.m. ET Tuesday telling them that the Exploramer Centre in Ste-Anne-des-Monts was on fire.

Exploramer is an activity centre that showcases marine life in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Fire Chief Carol Dugas said the fire started in the museum’s electrical system. Because of that, firefighters had to wait 50 minutes for Hydro-Québec crews to arrive before dousing the flames with water.

Dugas said it was upsetting having to wait for so long before being able to intervene in the fire.

"During that time we could have lost a building worth I don’t know how many millions," he said.

In the end, none of the animals at the centre were harmed. However, the fire damaged the area where the fish tanks are located, as well as administrative offices.

Officials at the museum said they hope to be able to open for the tourist season in June as planned for the 20th anniversary.

MORE:cbcNews