NEWS

Salish Sea Food 'Candy Smoked Salmon' listeria recall names IGA, Sobeys

03/11/2015 04:26 EDT | Updated 05/11/2015 05:59 EDT
The CFIA is updating a recall of Salish Seafoods Candy Smoked Salmon, after the agency found some retailers, including two IGA locations and a Sobeys, may be causing​ Listeria monocytogenes contamination.

​"During the CFIA's food safety investigation, it was determined that it was a common practice for distributors and retailers to thaw and subsequently sell this product refrigerated for a period of time that could allow the growth of Listeria monocytogenes," the Canadian Food Inspection Agency told the CBC in a statement.

In its latest recall warning about the product, the agency advises consumers, food service establishments, retailers, and distributors not to consume, serve, use, or sell the recalled product, which is intended to be kept frozen until use.

The retailers named in the CFIA recall warning are:

- City Fish

- Fanny Bay Oysters Seafood Shop

- Hay River Northmart Food

- IGA Lakeview

- Leduc Co-op Grocery Ltd

- Sandyview Farms

- Sobeys Country Hills

- Whitecourt IGA

​The recalled product is labelled Lot # 6919, Lot # 6920, Lot # 6932 and Lot # 6949 and was sold in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan and may have been sold in other provinces and territories.

The CFIA says some product packages may not bear the brand or product name or may have been sold by clerks from deli counters with or without labelling or coding.

Consumers who are unsure if they have purchased the affected product are advised to contact their retailer.

Food contaminated with the bacteria may not look or smell spoiled, but can still cause sickness. Symptoms of Listeriosis include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, headaches and neck stiffness.

Pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are at particular risk. In severe cases, the illness can cause death.

The CFIA says it is verifying that industry is removing the recalled product from the marketplace and continuing its investigation. There have been no reported instances of illness caused by the product.

MORE:cbcNews