NEWS

Bertrand Charest, Ex-National Ski Coach, Faces New Sex Charges

03/16/2015 04:43 EDT | Updated 05/16/2015 05:59 EDT
Radio-Canada
SAINT-JEROME, Que. - A ski coach is facing more sex charges as three new alleged victims have come forward.

Bertrand Charest now faces a total of 56 charges involving 11 young females.

Nine additional charges were laid Monday as Charest appeared in court for a bail hearing northwest of Montreal.

Charest, 50, was a coach for Alpine Canada's women's development team between 1996 and 1998 and previously worked as coach for various provincial ski organizations.

Alpine Canada said it became aware of a sexual-abuse complaint against Charest in 1998 and alerted the RCMP.

The national governing board for the sport said last week that Charest resigned that same year and it was not aware of the results of the RCMP's investigation.

A publication ban has been placed on the evidence presented at the bail hearing, which will resume Tuesday.

Charest was arraigned last week on charges including sexual assault and breach of trust involving females between the ages of 12 and 19.

Authorities said the alleged crimes occurred between 1991 and 1998.

Mont-Tremblant police have said the alleged assaults took place north of Montreal and in France, Austria, New Zealand and the United States.