Jahanzeb Malik shook his head at times but said little as he appeared via video link from the jail in Lindsay, Ont., at a hearing before the Immigration and Refugee Board.
Government lawyer Jessica Lourenco made no new allegations against him.
"The minister wishes to rely on previous submissions in establishing that Mr. Malik would be unlikely to appear for his admissibility hearing and for the current and future danger to the public if he were at liberty," Lourenco said.
"The minister continues to gather and examine evidence related to Mr. Malik's inadmissibility on the grounds of security."
At his first hearing a week ago, Lourenco accused Malik, 33, of planning to blow up the U.S. consulate in Toronto and buildings in the city's financial district. She also said he was an Islamic State and al-Qaida supporter who planned to video the bombings to inspire others to follow suit.
"Mr. Malik indicated his belief that the violent jihad was being waged against Western enemies was righteous," Lourenco said last week.
Had he had the opportunity to carry out his elaborate plan, she said, "mass destruction and possibly the loss of life" would have been the result.
None of the allegations against Malik has been tested in any forum and his lawyer made no submissions.
Presiding board member Iris Kohler, who noted Jahanzeb is a permanent resident of Canada rather than a citizen, set his next hearing date for April 14.
While Malik has strong ties to Canada, including two children, Kohler decided he also had a "level of disregard for law in general" as well as "strong anti-government views."
She noted he has "some level of a criminal record" and the offences involved violence or threats of violence.
Records show police charged Malik in April 2012 with assaulting his estranged wife and uttering threats. However, he was granted a conditional discharge a year later.
"You do, on the balance of probabilities, pose a flight risk, a danger to the public and you should be detained for security reasons," Kohler said.
Kohler also said she didn't expect his detention would be lengthy and that she expected the government to disclose its plans for him at his next hearing.
Agents for Canada Border Services Agency arrested Malik on March 9 after an undercover investigation. He was detained as a danger to the public and as someone unlikely to appear at a hearing to determine if he can remain in the country.
Malik, a flooring contractor who came to Canada as a student more than a decade ago, has until March 24 to argue for release on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
His lawyer, Anser Farooq, told The Canadian Press last week that it was "absurd" to deport someone authorities are arguing is dangerous. Farooq also said it was unlikely Malik would be released before he is expelled.
It's still not clear why authorities have gone the immigration route rather than charge Malik criminally.
The government has refused to explain its rationale. Legal experts have noted immigration proceedings require a much lower evidentiary threshold than criminal ones.Suggest a correction