POLITICS

Crown evidence so far shows no foul play in Manitoba infant deaths: lawyer

03/23/2015 11:44 EDT | Updated 05/23/2015 05:59 EDT
WINNIPEG - There are still no answers as to the identity of six infants whose remains were found last October in a U-Haul storage locker.

The lawyer for Andrea Geisbrecht — the woman charged with six counts of concealing the bodies — said Monday that the Crown has done at least two autopsies and brought in a forensic anthropologist, but has not found much, at least in what it has shared with the defence.

"When is it going to come to an end? Are they going to keep on going until they find someone who is going to say what they want him to say?" Greg Brodsky asked outside a Winnipeg court.

Brodsky said information provided so far does not point to any foul play, does not identify the parents of any of the infants and does not prove that the infants were ever alive.

"There is no proof that they weren't stillborn."

The Crown declined to comment on the evidence as the case is still before the courts.

Geisbrecht, 40, remains in custody. The matter has been put over to April 17 while Brodsky awaits further evidence disclosure, including DNA evidence that may identify the infants.

The remains were found by employees at the storage facility who were checking on an unpaid rental bill.

Police notes previously read out in court indicate that officers found bodies wrapped in garbage bags and placed in either a duffel bag, a tote bag or plastic containers.

One officer managed to pry open a container and saw "limbs that belonged to an infant," court heard.

Brodsky said last December that initial tests showed the remains dated back between eight and 10 years.