NEWS

Winnipeg police officers won't face charges in Tina Fontaine case

03/24/2015 06:12 EDT | Updated 05/24/2015 05:59 EDT
Two Winnipeg police officers who saw and spoke with Tina Fontaine before the 15-year-old girl disappeared, but let her go, will not face charges.

The Winnipeg Police Service launched an internal investigation last fall after discovering that the two officers came across Fontaine during a traffic stop on Aug. 8, 2014 — a week after she had been reported missing — but did not take her into custody.

Fontaine's body was found wrapped in a bag in the Red River on Aug. 17. Her death is being investigated as a homicide but no arrests have been announced to date.

The Manitoba Crown prosecutor's office reviewed the results of the internal investigation and told the police force in December that it would not proceed with charges under the Criminal Code or the Child and Family Services Act, police said in a news release issued late Tuesday afternoon.

The police service says it has launched disciplinary proceedings against the officers and suspended one of them without pay. The other officer remains on administrative leave.

In both cases, their statuses are "pending the outcome with the discipline process," according to the news release.

MORE:cbcNews