Ford told CBC News on Wednesday that he's scheduled to have surgery on May 7, assuming an upcoming CAT scan and MRI show that his tumours — Ford has a tumour in his abdomen and a smaller one in his back — have shrunk enough for doctors to operate.
While Ford, 45, cautioned the surgery is only tentative at this point, he said he's happy with the news.
"Yeah, it's good news," he told the CBC's Jamie Strashin.
Ford had previously said the tumour in his abdomen needed to shrink from 14 cm to 3 cm before surgeons could safely operate.
Ford has been undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment since he was diagnosed last September with liposarcoma, a rare and aggressive form of cancer. He's previously said his chances of survival are 50/50.
He said if he has the surgery, doctors told him he'd be "on the shelf" for at least four months.
Ford also responded to news that two people may face charges after his medical records were breached. Ford said privacy breaches have happened at all the hospitals where he's sought treatment, and that he's unsure why anyone is looking for information about his health.
"They know I have cancer. I think the whole world knows," he said.
As for the alleged culprits, Ford said: "I don't want anyone to lose their jobs."
Ford's family has a sad history with cancer. His father, Doug Ford Sr., died of colon cancer in 2006.
Also on HuffPost