POLITICS

Judicial pretrial for Ghomeshi sex assault case to continue on April 28

03/27/2015 11:34 EDT | Updated 05/27/2015 05:59 EDT
TORONTO - The sexual assault case involving disgraced former broadcaster Jian Ghomeshi will next be in court at the end of April.

In a brief appearance at a Toronto courtroom Friday, Ghomeshi's lawyer said she and a Crown prosecutor had met before a judge earlier in the day for a judicial pretrial.

Marie Henein asked that the "ongoing" proceeding be scheduled to resume on April 28.

Ghomeshi, the former host of CBC Radio's cultural affairs show "Q," was not present in court.

He faces seven counts of sexual assault and one of overcoming resistance by choking.

Ghomeshi has admitted engaging in rough sex but said it was consensual.

Henein did not talk to a crowd of reporters as she left the courthouse, but she has said in the past that Ghomeshi will plead not guilty to all charges.

CBC fired Ghomeshi, 47, in October after executives saw what they described as graphic evidence that he had physically injured a woman.

The alleged assaults for which he is charged occurred between 2002 and 2008.