Jason MacLeod with the Alma Fire Department says crews were called to a house fire in Mount William, near New Glasgow, around 11:20 p.m. and had the fire under control around midnight.
He says because of the barking dog, along with the home's smoke detectors, everyone inside was able to escape safely.
The Canadian Red Cross says it is assisting a man, a woman and their five children with food, clothing and shelter after the fire.
MacLeod says the dog also made it out of the burning home.
The fire department says the house was not destroyed but it is not clear when the family will be able to return.
Also on HuffPost