NEWS

Surrey drug war: police investigate links to latest drive-by shooting

04/15/2015 11:01 EDT | Updated 06/24/2015 07:59 EDT
There was another drive-by shooting in Surrey last night, less than 12 hours after investigators released a dozen photographs of men they believe are involved in a turf war between two gangs.

Officers say the latest shooting happened at around 1 a.m. PT Wednesday on 66 Avenue near 128 Street. There were no reported injuries.

Witness Kevin Adams said he saw one speeding vehicle chasing another, with those inside shooting at the vehicle ahead. The vehicles were reportedly a pickup truck and a gray car.

RCMP Sgt. Dale Carr said investigators are still trying to determine if the latest shooting is linked to an ongoing turf war between two different groups of men of South Asian and Somalian descent over low-level drug trafficking in the city.

"At this time not able to say if it's linked but it certainly appears to be along the same MO," said Carr.

"Our serious crime unit is investigating the incident and will be in the area today canvassing for information. Additionally, our forensic unit is processing a number of pieces of evidence gathered from the scene," he said.

Victims not co-operating

At a news conference on Tuesday, Chief Supt. Bill Fordy said there have been 17 shootings in Surrey and three in Delta in just over a month.

No one has died in the attacks, but Fordy said a lack of co-operation from victims has prevented further arrests.

RCMP have released a list of 13 individuals. The first eight are new names not previously released by police. The other five are names police first released on March 12.

PHOTOS: Surrey RCMP's list of unco-operative victims in gang turf war

MORE:cbcNews